WHY WOMEN PEACE AND SECURITY?
Conceptualized during the first Peace Grand Assembly in 2010, Women and Peace Studies Organization (WPSo) focuses on sustainable peace & democratic participation locally and nationally through women’s inclusion and meaningful engagement. WPSo is building on the experience and knowledge of the Research Institute for Women, Peace, and Security (RIWPS-Afghanistan) and advances knowledge to contribute towards the discourse of peace and security from a women’s perspective. WPSo engages with grassroots women leaders to share their experiences and agency with the relevant stakeholders locally and nationally towards achieving sustainable peace.
Women & PEACE Studies Organization: WPSo
Women & PEACE Studies Organization referred as WPSo hereafter is a civil society initiative built on the experience and expertise of previously existing RIWPS-Afghanistan and aims at furthering the knowledge and realization of women’s perspectives and roles within the framework of peace and security in Afghanistan.
WPSos rational is anchored on an understanding that Afghan women have critical and important roles and perspectives of peace and security locally and nationally and their knowledge and realization from a grassroots level need to be further explored, studied, and advocated for – WPSos will document those experiences from the field, disseminate and empower women’s traditional leaders with tools and skills to become emerging women’s leaders in local and national level peace and security debates and frameworks.
RESEARCH & EVIDENCE BUILDING
- Monitoring and oversight
- Focusing on grassroots women’s leaders and emerging young leaders at the local levels
- Protection from Gender-based violence in conflict and war
MOBILIZATION & CAMPAIGNING
- National, regional and international structures
- Dialogues, advocacy and outreach
- Awareness raising on democratic participation in local and national processes like parliament, provincial councils, and others
LEADERSHIP & EMPOWERMENT
- Training & capacity empowerment for traditional and emerging women leaders
- Networking and exchange learning
Promoting knowledge and realization that inclusive peace and security frameworks lead to sustainable peace & harmony in Afghanistan.
To create & explore knowledge about women leaders in grassroots movements, empower capacities, and support research and advocacy that will increase peace and security by systematic inclusion of women’s perspectives and roles in programs, policies, and structures.
WPSO WILL STRIVE TO ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES:
- Promote the role of women as peace negotiators, mediators, peacebuilders and preventing violence extremism, and radicalization
- Create spaces and avenues for young women to enter the debate on peace and security from a people’s perspectives challenging the traditional and military peace and security frameworks
- Contribute to knowledge being created and explored on the roles and contributions of women leaders at the local and national levels to transform homes, communities, and villages and preventing youth from engaging with insurgencies and extremism
- Promoting Citizens democratic participation for sustainable peace
- Engendering Security
- Conflict transformation and preventing violent extremism
- Build constituencies for peace & democratic participation